How To Be Happy – 7 Steps
This is an excerpt from an article at:
“Happiness Strategy # 1: Don’t Worry, Choose Happy
The first step, however, is to make a conscious choice to boost your happiness.
The intention to be happy is the first of The 9 Choices of Happy Peoplelisted by authors Rick Foster and Greg Hicks in their book of the same name.
“Intention is the active desire and commitment to be happy,” they write. “It’s the decision to consciously choose attitudes and behaviors that lead to happiness over unhappiness.”
Happiness Strategy #2: Cultivate Gratitude
In his book, Authentic Happiness, University of Pennsylvania psychologist Martin Seligman encourages readers to perform a daily “gratitude exercise.” It involves listing a few things that make them grateful. This shifts people away from bitterness and despair, he says, and promotes happiness.
Happiness Strategy #3: Foster Forgiveness
Holding a grudge and nursing grievances can affect physical as well as mental health, according to a rapidly growing body of research. One way to curtail these kinds of feelings is to foster forgiveness. This reduces the power of bad events to create bitterness and resentment, say Michael McCullough and Robert Emmons, happiness researchers who edited The Psychology of Happiness.”
Author: Tom Valeo WebMD Feature, Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
Read the rest of the Article from: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/choosing-to-be-happy
- The Power of Positive Psychology (everydayhealth.com)
- Happiness, Philosophy and Science (antiworldnews.wordpress.com)
- Study: Personality Changes Boost Happiness More than External Factors (marriagegems.com)
- Living Happy Good! (thekindnesskronicles.wordpress.com)
- Universal and Unique Happiness (happinessparadigm.wordpress.com)
- What Stops YOU Being Happy? (happinessguru.wordpress.com)
- Be Happy, Here’s How! (happinessguru.wordpress.com)
- The formula for happiness and success (theattitudequeen.wordpress.com)
- Positive Psychology – saying yes to your well-being (micheletaylorcoach.wordpress.com)